Friday, February 19, 2010

ROCK Sex: "I Want You!" - The Troggs, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Cheap Trick, Elvis Costello +



ROCK Sex tells you what it wants what it really really wants.

Today's relay is that universal desire, "I Want You". Here's a lot of ranting and raving about the craving.

_______________


Let's let Liverpool's unsung Beat group, Jeannie And The Big Guys, kick us off.

JEANNIE AND THE BIG GUYS -"I Want You" (1964)



Bringing some of that Garage lust, via the "Louie Louie"/"Wild Thing" riff, is The Troggs.

THE TROGGS -"I Want You" (1966)



Bob Dylan mixes scorn, ache, and surreality in his plea.

BOB DYLAN -"I Want You" (1966)



The Beatles make an epic Grunge grind out of it that hypnotizes you into submission.

THE BEATLES -"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (1969)



Marvin Gaye seduces us into sin with angelic grace.

MARVIN GAYE -"I Want You" (1976)



Cheap Trick make sure it's mutual.

CHEAP TRICK -"I Want You To Want Me" (live, 1978)



Fleetwood Mac's most restless member pays tribute to Prince with this number.

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM -"I Want You" (1984)



After the intro, a minute in, listen to how Elvis Costello rechannels The Beatles' groove and Dylan's edge from the songs above.

ELVIS COSTELLO -"I Want You" (1986)



Bringing us round trip, here's Canada's Fefe Dobson making her feelings known.

FEFE DOBSON -"I Want You" (2009)





© Tym Stevens



See Also:

Love and Let Love! -Bessie Smith, Rita Chao, Nancy Sit, Tina Turner

LADIES FIRST: "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)" - Kim Weston > The Doobie Brothers

Chuck Berry > Bob Dylan > Ultravox > Elvis Costello

"Way of the World" - Cheap Trick > R.E.M.

BEATLESQUE Songs: 1969-esque, with Music Player!


The Real History of Rock and Soul!: The Music Player Checklist


No comments: