Friday, February 19, 2010

ROCK Sex: 'I Want You!'



ROCK Sex tells you what it wants what it really really wants.


Today's relay is that universal desire, "I Want You". Here's a lot of ranting and raving about the craving.

Let's let Liverpool's unsung Beat group, JEANNIE & THE BIG GUYS, kick us off...

JEANNIE & THE BIG GUYS- "I Want You" (1964)



Bringing some of that Garage lust, via the "Louie Louie"/"Wild Thing" riff, is THE TROGGS...

THE TROGGS -"I Want You" (1966)



BOB DYLAN mixes scorn, ache, and surreality in his plea...

BOB -"I Want You" (1966)



THE BEATLES make an epic Grunge grind out of it that hypnotizes you into submission...

THE FABS -"I Want You (She's So Heavy)" (1969)



MARVIN GAYE seduces us into sin with angelic grace...

MARVIN -"I Want You" (1976)



CHEAP TRICK make sure it's mutual...

CHEAP TRICK -"I Want You To Want Me" (live, 1978)



After the intro, a minute in, listen to how ELVIS COSTELLO rechannels The Beatles' groove and Dylan's edge from above...

COSTELLO -"I Want You" (1986)



Bringing us round trip, here's Canada's FEFE DOBSON making her feelings known...

FEFE DOBSON -"I Want You" (2009)



This sentiment has also been expressed variously by KISS, COMMON, MOLOKU, and INSPIRAL CARPETS w/ Mark E. Smith, among many others.

No comments: