Monday, January 11, 2010

LADIES FIRST: "I'm Blue (The Gong Gong Song)!"



LADIES FIRST hits you with another classic that 'she did first'.


The song "I'm Blue (The Gong Gong Song)" was first done by THE IKETTES, the back-up group for Ike & Tina Turner. Fronted by the powerful belting of Dolores Johnson, this single was meant to expand the Turner brand into the market.

THE IKETTES -"I'm Blue (The Gong Gong Song)" (1962)



Here's a refreshingly genderless take shortly thereafter...

THE NEWBEATS -"I'm Blue (The Gong Gong Song)" (1964)



The song was also covered by The Spencer Davis Group, featuring Steve Winwood, in the mid 60's. But it got its biggest fame blasted out Garage Rock style by THE 5.6.7.8.S in a showstopping preformance in the film "KILL BILL, Vol. 1":

The 5.6.7.8.'s -"I'm Blue" (2004)

No comments: